Non-Conventional Water Resource Programme Using Rainwater Harvesting and Greywater Reuse Systems in Selected Public Buildings and Areas in Abasan Al-Kabira (ECOAQUA)

Thematic objective: B.4 Environmental protection, climate change adaptation and mitigation
Priority: Priority B.4.1 Support sustainable initiatives aimed at finding innovative and technological solutions to increase water efficiency and encourage use of non-conventional water supply
Brief description of the project: Abasan Al-Kabira is located in the southern part of Gaza Strip. It’s about 18km2 and the inhabitants are 30,000. About 20% of the total area is a built up area, the rest (80%) is agricultural area. Abasan Al-Kabira is located over the Costal Aquifer. The water resources in Abasan Al-Kabira are very limited, and the pressure is increasing on the water resources due to the rapid increase in population and development. Abasan is in critical situation that requires immediate and concerted efforts to improve the water situation and water quality. Therefore there is an evident need to mobilise Non-Conventional Water Resources (NCWR) in order to secure water availability and facilitate sustainable development. The proposed project not only will manage the flooding at Wadi Saber area but will also contribute to the improvement of the water situation in the Abasan Al-Kabira city.This project will be in the sustainable development context and cost-effective way and promoting a new water culture.
Main objectives – issues to be addressed: ECOAQUA aims at advancing the use of non-conventional water resources (NCWRs), mainly storm water harvesting and grey water reuse, improved by innovative techniques and methods, in water scarce communities in Abasan Al-Kabira and its surrounding, as a cost effective method for enhancing water availability, addressing current and future water scarcity challenges at local level
Expected results: Reduced municipal water consumption in public buildings. Increase the irrigation water quantities produced by storm water collection pond in Wadi Saber area. More efficient use of water in residential and public buildings. Increased capacity of civil servants and stakeholders on non-conventional water resource techniques. Increased awareness of local authorities, governmental entities, socioeconomic actors, citizens on sustainable integrated management of non-conventional water resources.
Partners already involved: NA
Partners searched: Looking for partner
Total estimated budget: 750000 EURO
First name: Ahmed
Last name: Abu Ismaiel
Name of the organisation: Municipality of Abasan Al-Kabira
Type of organisation: Local or regional public administration
City: Abasan Al-Kabira
Country: Palestine
Email: abu_ismaiel@hotmail.com
Phone number: 00970599745028
Skype contact: ahmed.abu.ismaiel
Website: http://abasan.ps